Wednesday, February 3, 2016

808s & Heartbreak

I was 5-years-old when I first thought my heart was broken
I saw my preschool crush holding hands with my best friend

When I was 8 my stray cat ran away
I thought my heart had once again broken into smaller bits

I've read a lot of books involving heartache
But I'm still not an expert on the subject

When I was 12-years-old my dad stopped going to church.
I thought for sure this time my heart couldn't be fixed.

I was wrong every time.
Age 5, 8, and 12 feel so little to me now
My heart has still never truly been broken.

I've heard it explained time after time:
Heartbreak is big, dark, and it's inevitable.
I've never heard it described as little.
Soul-shattering, and world-destroying, yes.

But never little.



5 comments:

  1. "Heartbreak is big, dark, and it's inevitable."
    Heartbreak is inevitable. That is a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, first, kanye

    then, second, that house picture

    third, your specific heartbreaks

    you'll probably have more heartbreak, we all will. but those first three are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you wrote this, and how you talked about the first three heartbreaks

    ReplyDelete