Saturday, February 20, 2016

Brick Flooring

"It has character"
That's what my mother told me every time I asked about the brick flooring in the kitchen

"A home needs character for us to grow into
and that's why we keep the old brick floors"



I can still see the dents from rollerblading in the house and dropping the old microwave
  But the old brick floors are here to stay


You can spot the messiest spills from life, and love, and dinner conversations on those floors
  But they've caught it all and that's why we keep them


They've been scrubbed down one too many times and may have lost some shine
  But those floors have never lost character


Rhythm from the kitchen dance parties
Anxiety from the childhood lectures
Love from everyone who steps foot on them
and character
So much character that even when we replaced the carpet, the brick floors stayed put


A home needs character for us to grow into
and we've grown our roots into the old brick floors



3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting and I love it. Such a great take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to see your house! I don't think I've seen a home with brick flooring, how cool. And I really love that last line.

    ReplyDelete